Monday, July 6, 2009

How to Perform a Pistol Squat


Last week I posted a list of 10 bodyweight exercises and the first on the list was 10 pistol squats with each leg. The pistol squat popularized by Pavel Tsatsouline builds phenomenal leg strength by using only your bodyweight. Performing pistols takes flexibility and strength as it incorporates the joint’s full range of motion. Training pistol squats will rewire your kinetic chain of movement and build dynamic power.

Description of the Pistol Squat

Start with one foot flat on the floor pressing down through your heel and hold your other foot straight out in front of you. Extend your hands out in front of you and then lower yourself down until your hamstring touches your calf. Pause for a second and push back up. Keep your shin vertical and your core tight. Pavel describes the pistol squat as being an exercise of complete body tension. The pistol squat done properly does not use momentum to bounce back-up, but rather complete muscle control, hence the body tension. Check out Pavel’s The Naked Warrior for a detailed breakdown of the pistol and exercise variations to build up to the pistol.

How I built up to my goal.

It took me two months to go from not being able to do one pistol squat to doing 10 with each leg. The key for me was to build the volume slowly by performing low numbers of reps spread throughout the day. Part of my success was to break this exercise into two stages. First, I needed to increase my hip flexibility so that I could acheive a deep enough squat. I used a flight of stairs to increase the depth of my squat and work up to unassisted pistol squats. Week one, I started with my heel against the first step and squatted until I was sitting on the stairs (for me it was the third step up), paused and stood up. Week two, I stood far enough away from the stairs so I was squatting deep enough for my butt hit the second step. By the third week I was lowering down to the first step. During these first three weeks my goal was to be able to complete an unassisted pistol squat. Every time I went by the stairs I performed a few repetitions alternating legs each squat. You can use a stool, chair, or whatever is handy. Remember to build volume gradually because you are also working the tendons and ligaments. The fourth week I was able to perform a pistol squat without assistance. Now starts the real building phase. The description of each week that follows is an example of one set. I would do three to five of these sets spread throughout the day. Each set consisted of 10 reps per leg. Here is the repetition progression I used starting at week four since the first three were assisted with the use of the stairs.
  • Wk 4: 2 squats per leg, alternating until I reached 10 reps (switch legs 5 times).
  • Wk 5: 4 squats per leg, alternating legs twice and then 1 squat per leg, alternating legs twice (10 total reps)
  • Wk 6: 6 squats per leg then 2 squats per leg, alternating legs twice (10 total reps)
  • Wk 7: 8 squats per leg then 1 squat per leg, alternating legs twice (10 total reps)
  • Wk 8: You have reached the goal! 10 reps per leg
Remember the long-term goal is total health, if I can build up to a pistol squat so can you, but listen to your body and/or physician before you start training.

Now get to work comrades and as Pavel would say “Power to You”!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites
Be Naturally Well
 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://richardshealthmusings.com
and update your bookmarks.