Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Captains of Crush Challenge!

The sports I participate in require strong hands but I did not focus on strengthening my grip until I started bouldering. I have been using a number of different training tools some purchased and some homemade to strengthen my hands and wrists. Last fall I was looking for serious hand grippers to train my crush grip (handshake style grip) and I stumbled upon Ironmind’s Captain of Crush (CoC) grippers. They have 10 grippers that range from 60 pounds to 365 pounds of pressure needed to close them. I purchased the Trainer (rated at 100 lbs) to start my CoC odyssey. I got CoC’s #1 and #1.5 for Christmas (140 lbs and 168 lbs, respectively). I am now able to do sets with the #1 and am almost able to close the #1.5.

My goal is to be able to close Ironmind’s Captain of Crush #2 gripper by this coming Christmas. If you are interested joining me in this challenge pick up a set of CoC hand grippers from their website or Amazon.com and set your end of year target! Be warned the average male is capable of 112 pounds of crush grip so start slow. Treat this like any other exercise routine…warm-up, train progressively, focus on intensity not quantity, REST, and focus on full range of motion. Let me know if you need help developing a grip training routine. Otherwise go crush it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites
Be Naturally Well
 

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://richardshealthmusings.com
and update your bookmarks.